Product Spotlight: Get Smart About Climate Control With the Nest Thermostat
Make Your Home More Comfortable, Safe, and Energy Efficient
In a recent Houzz survey asking homeowners what smart product they planned on introducing to their home in the next year, smart thermostats led the way with 17 percent of the vote. The primary reason people invest in this type of technology is to reduce their energy consumption. That’s because cooling and heating can make up as much as half your energy bill each month. And in a place like New York where the weather can vary wildly from season to season, you need a climate control solution that can adjust quickly to changing needs. And no product does it better than the Nest thermostat.
SEE MORE: 3 Reasons to Use Sonos for Your Wireless Speakers
Great Return on Investment
According to Nest, you can expect to save 10-12 percent on heating and 15 percent on cooling down your home, meaning the thermostat will pay for itself within the first two years of use. The thermostat offers the most efficient type of climate control since it does not limit itself to a couple of programmable features. It learns from your routine and uses sensors to respond quickly and intuitively. Here’s how it works:
- Start Out Manually: For the first one or two weeks, use the thermostat as you would a regular one. Adjust it manually so it can learn what temperature you like best when waking up, leaving the house, or going to bed.
- Let Nest Take Over: As your thermostat learns more about your daily routines, it will start making those adjustments automatically. It will also find out more about your home like how much time and energy it will take to heat or cool each particular room.
- Incorporate Sensors: You can also program the thermostat to respond to motion sensors. For example, tell it to go into energy-saving mode when it senses that your home or a specific room is unoccupied.
Control in the Palm of Your Hand
Your Nest thermostat comes with its own native app or can be incorporated into your smart home automation system for mobile control. There are two primary ways to make changes through the app:
- Manual Changes: When you’re leaving work, pull up your app to begin heating your home so it’s nice and cozy when you make it there. You can also make quick adjustments if you find a room is too cold or warm for your liking.
- Scheduled Changes: While the thermostat can automatically schedule changes based on your behavior, you can also create schedules if you find that makes more sense. For example, through your app, you can program the temperature to go up at 6 a.m., so it’s less jarring when you have to get out of your warm sheets.
Keep Tabs on Your Home
Nest offers an Energy History feature that shows you which days (say comparing a Saturday to a weekday) and rooms use up the most energy. Through your energy dashboard, you can get tips on how to reduce your usage. Once you’ve made the necessary adjustments, you can check back in the following week or month to see how those changes are affecting your home.
We know how difficult it can be to set the perfect temperature in your New York home. Make it easier by upgrading to a smart climate control solution. Contact us to get started.